Do you have lots of these sitting on your counter or in your frig from your garden or maybe people are just dropping off to you because they have more than enough? By this time in the summer most of us have eaten or created numerous ways to eat the zucchini we have been given. I for one do not make zucchini bread because I have not found a recipe that is low in fat and still has good taste! However, our friends at Living Without have sent me a wonderful recipe for a gluten free chocolate zucchini cake that is just marvelous. You can make this dairy free also with just a quick substitution of milk. Delish. Enjoy!!!!! For comments/questions email email@example.com
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake
½ cup white rice flour
¾ cup sorghum flour
½ cup tapioca starch/flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
1 pinch ground cloves, optional
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
½ cup honey or agavé nectar
⅓ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening or coconut oil
½ tablespoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup milk of choice (vanilla-flavored rice, soy or almond) or fruit juice
1½ cups (5.3 ounces) chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate
Grated zest of 1 orange or 1 teaspoon dried orange zest
1¼ cups grated zucchini
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch cake pan.
2. Combine flours, tapioca starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Add eggs, honey, shortening and vanilla. Blend well. Set aside
4. In a medium saucepan, heat milk to just under a boil. Pour it over chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
5. Add chocolate and egg mixture to flour mixture. Add orange zest and stir well to form a smooth batter. Stir in grated zucchini.
6. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Allow cake to cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. Turn cake onto a large plate and frost.