Oh my, I had to share this recipe that was forwarded to me by Living Without for Gluten Free Double Chocolate Macaroons! My daughter is going to be thrilled when I make these 🙂 Enjoy!!!!
2 extra-large egg whites, room temperature
⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1½ cups semisweet mini chocolate chips
½ cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate disks or chips
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, whip egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. While mixer is running, slowly drizzle in sugar. Whip until meringue forms glossy white peaks. Then add vanilla.
3. Using a spatula, gently fold in coconut and mini chocolate chips. Egg whites will deflate a bit.
4. Scoop batter by generous tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, placing macaroons ½ inch apart. Using damp fingers, flatten them slightly. Place a chocolate disk or chips into the center of each, pressing down so the center is lower than the sides (like a thumbprint cookie). If meringue appears to crack, use dampened fingers to smooth it out around the edges.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 15 minutes. Rotate pans. Bake 6 to 8 minutes more or until macaroons are light golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes. Place macaroons on a wire rack to cool completely. Do not layer until chocolate centers are set.