I ran across this recipe, tweaked it and OMG it was fabulous!!! I thought I had a “torch” but found out I didn’t so to improvise I used one of my turbo grill lighters to toast the marshmallow topping.
The cupcakes didn’t really take that long and the combination with the marshmallow was great. Holiday time can be rough on my granddaughter who is lactose intolerant so I made sure to change a couple of things so she could eat them and as you can see from the pic she thought they were quite delish! Enjoy!!! For comments and questions please email me.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola/safflower oil
1/4 cup Lite Land OLakes Butter (or use all oil if you are making them lactose free)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
1/4 cup Egg Beaters, room temperature
1/2 cup luke warm gingerbread beer or you can use water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a standard muffin tin with liners–and lightly grease with spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer (fitted with a whisk attachment), whisk together the melted butter, oil, brown sugar, molasses, and Egg Beaters
- On low speed, add half of the beer/water to the egg mixture, followed by half of the dry ingredients. Repeat with remaining beer/water and flour mixture until just combined.
- Remove and scrape down the bowl with a spatula, ensuring that all ingredients have been incorporated evenly.
- Divide evenly among a standard muffin tin, so that each is 3/4 full (it will most likely yield 11 cupcakes with this amount of batter in each cup).
- Bake for about 20 minutes (rotating halfway), or until tops of cupcakes are just springy to touch and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan on rack for 3 minutes. Remove cupcakes and allow to cool on rack until completely cool.
4 large egg whites (4 ounces)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place egg whites, sugar, and lemon juice in (very clean) bowl of a stand mixer and place over a pot of lightly simmering water (double broiler). Using the whisk attachment, whisk constantly until sugar has dissolved and whites are lightly warm to touch (use your fingertips to test this–but it should take about 4-5 minutes, depending on how cold your egg whites are).
Transfer bowl to stand mixer and beat over low speed for 1-2 minutes. Increase speed to high and continue to beat for another 5-6 minutes until frosting is thick, shiny, and stiff (will hold its peak).
Frost cooled cupcakes using your favorite tip or use cake spatula. Hold your torch or lighter just over the top of the frosting and “toast” to desired color.